- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika smoked or regular
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
- Place the calamari in a bowl with the buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 inches of oil in a large deep pot to 375 degrees F.
- Place the flour, salt, paprika, pepper and garlic powder in a medium bowl; stir to combine.
- Remove each piece of squid from the buttermilk and dredge in the flour. Repeat the process until all pieces are coated.
- Place 8-10 pieces of squid in the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the squid from the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat the process with the remaining squid.
- Sprinkle additional salt over the squid if desired, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.